Sunday 21 May 2017

English Poem - "Fragrance stays" - a poem to my daddy

11 years ago, this day, I lost him. This poem is dedicated to him.

Fragrances stay, though he is gone.

I smell him so often at dusk and dawn.

I smell him in the milk and the burfi and jalebi,

I smell him in bhallas, in kheer, the ganga? yes, may be.

And now I smell him in me.

The smell that took me to my childhood in a flash flight.

That 'only-his' smell of body in sweaty summer night,

When frightened by a scary movie,

For months I could not sleep,

Scared that the ghosts in my bed shall creep

for months I slept wrapped in his mighty arms,

Sheltered from the vampire and all her charms.

His everlasting absence is a fact I can't resist,

Yes, he is gone but his fragrances persist.

No comments:

Post a Comment